PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN - IN- PERSON AT THE SCHOOL.
This course will provide both theory
and practical skills required for a student to perform both routine and
challenging veni-puncture and capillary skin puncture collections. In
addition, collection, processing, and distribution of lab specimens according
to standard procedures will be presented.
The course lectures and labs will
emphasize laboratory safety standards, legal and
ethical behaviors, HIPAA, and quality control.
The course includes an overview of human
anatomy (circulatory system), basic hematology, and micro-collection techniques. Upon
successful completion of this course and Phlebotomy Lab skills class, the
student will have entry-level skills to perform as a phlebotomy technician.
*After passing this class, students will be required to complete a
120 hr Clinical Externship at one of our affiliated hospitals or clinic sites.
*At the completion of both the class and the Externship, students
will be eligible to sit for a National Certification Examination.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
• Perform as an entry level phlebotomy technician.
• Perform veni-punctures and capillary skin punctures.
• Perform standard procedures in the collection, processing, and
distribution of lab specimens.
• Understand the role and function of phlebotomy in the overall care of
• Explain and summarize the basic components of a clinical and/or
• Describe and recognize safety standards, legal and ethical behaviors,
and quality control related
§Demonstrate proper procedures for requisitioning, collection,
processing and Transport of Laboratory
Required Text: Phlebotomy Simplified, Third Edition,
Diane Garza and Kathleen Becan-McBride
ISBN-13 978-0-13-471834-7, www.pearson.com